28 January 2011

I R Pee-Vee-Peed! Almost...

For those of you who are worried about my education, I did go to school today.  But I came home, because our school is under construction, the dust from which caused me to feel sick all over again.  Luckily, that meant that I got to play EVE!

I logged on and ran some missions for the Republic Fleet.  My agent is Level One and -8 quality, but the missions are really easy, so I don't mind.  On our Ivy League Navy chat channel, I heard rumblings of an upcoming roam.  Elated for my first PvP opportunity, I flew back to my home base and hopped into my Taranis.  To it, I added a rig for agility and one for armor; I then waited for the fleet to form up.

This took an incredibly long time, however, mainly because we just switched from TeamSpeak 2 to Mumble, which I like a lot better.  Once we fleeted up, everyone warped to our POS.  The fleet commander kept telling me that I was in the wrong squad, but I had no clue what squad I was in.  I eventually found that my fleet list was in alphabetical order, not under a hierarchy.  I fixed that and added myself to the Squad 2 Mumble Channel.  Even after that, the fleet took a long time to form up.  Our FC was foreign (German, I think), but he was only hard to understand when pronouncing complex system names.  In fact, his voice was very calming; had he said, "This is your captain speaking," I would have reached for my seatbelt.

Anyway, an hour after talk of the fleet had started, we were ready to warp out of our staging system.  The FC asked if everyone knew what some terms were: Jump, Jump on Contact, Defensive Gate Camp, and Offensive Gate Camp.  I surmised what the first too meant (and they were even easier to decipher in context), but I was confused about the last two.  It ended up that, for me, they were the same thing: orbit the gate at 1,000m.  Easy enough.

We all aligned for warp and started on our roam.  It took us about three high-sec systems before we got into low-sec.  You wanna know something embarrassing?  On the jump into our first 0.4 system, I left after everyone, because I had to click through the dialogue box that said: "LowSec is dangerous.  Will you pussy out?"  I was sure to check "Don't Show This Again."  Anyway, I jumped in and caught up with the fleet.  We proceeded to go through about three systems, chasing a "flashy."  Half an hour into the roam, our scout reported a fleet of flashies!  My squad was chosen to be bait squad.  I added the scout to my watchlist and prepared to jump through.

"Actually, Squad 3, you be the bait squad."  Damnit.  I waited, though, eager to go point some flashy freaks.  We jumped, but the flashies were nowhere to be found.  We followed them through yet another gate but never made any contact.  By this time, it was 5:00 (word of the roam spread at 3:00), and I had to log off and pick up my brother from swim practice.  Lame, right?  Not actually, because we went to Buy One Get One Free Chipotle burrito night after that.  That was the end of my roam, though, so I wished the fleet good luck and docked somewhere in LowSec.  I've been assured that, in an interceptor, my journey home will be painless.

So, cool roam, right?  I'm looking forward to my next one, and I will be sure to dedicate at least three hours for it.  Also, I'd like to give a shoutout to my one, new follower.  Tell all your friends!

Fly safe!

-Stevie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Start the discussion. Please comment.