11 February 2011

New Corp

I'd like to start off by apologizing for not posting during the week.  It's something I feel that I always tell myself to do, but fail to follow up on.  Oh well, the best I can do is try.

Anyway, this post has two purposes.  The first is to let you all know that I have been accepted into M.Corp Academy.  I've begun my Eve University title-droppin' period, and by tomorrow night, I'll hopefully be headed to null-sec.  I am excited by the new opportunities offered by M.Corp and the M.Pire alliance, but I am also a little worried.  My biggest concern is making money.  As you may or may not know, I started out my EVE career by buying two PLEX: one for game time, the other for ISK.  I've lived off of that rather well, and I'm not even halfway depleted.  If I start losing 20mil ships (like my Taranis is fitted), though, I'll need new income, fast.  My long-term goal is to get a second account, which will be my industrial side, mining and hauling and all that good stuff.  But before I do that, I'd like to at least achieve positive cash flow ratting or something.

Before I get to point two, I'd just like to say that I really enjoyed my time in Eve University.  I think everyone there provides a great service to the community, and I am especially thankful for my first fleet experiences.  Hopefully, I'll be able to give back to New Eden someday, too.

Now, onto point two.  I'm sure that you've all heard about the revival of Fiddler's Edge.  All I have to say is that FE is an incredible blog and that you better be readin' it.  The success of Mord has led me to another conclusion, though: For one's blog to be successful, it has to focus on issues, not just fun roam stories or updates.

I have run into a couple "bad" blogs like the ones mentioned above.  First and foremost are WHore blogs.  While I do enjoy reading some of them, stay too long and you start to notice patterns: "I scanned my system, saw an enemy, switched ships, he was gone, I jumped through a hole, etc..."  The only excitement occurs when, "The hole I jumped through broke down!  Now I have 28 jumps to get back to my system.  Luckily it's hi-sec."

The second type of blog is full of "roamin' tales."  It's pretty much a pirate/small-gang PvP'er telling you that they gatecamped, killed a few ships, and--oh would you look at that!--lost one.  This is embodied by the recent posts on Rifter Drifter.  If you recall Wensley's Catch-22 series, that is the kind of writing that generates traffic, not details on one's small-scale fleet ops.

The third and final type, in my opinion, is rare.  It is the industrialist blog.  These writers detail planetary interaction, market orders, and the status of BPC's.  I used to get this stuff from Letrange all the time, but his writing has gotten much more exciting recently.

So there you have, the three types of boring blogs.  What do you need to be successful?  Perspective on 0.0 politics or game-wide issues.  Hopefully, I'll be getting both to you soon.

Fly safe!

-Stevie

PS- I don't want to diss Wensley or Letrange.  Although they sometimes fall in the category of blog I don't like, I still read them, because they have a great writing style.  Keep up the good work, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Start the discussion. Please comment.